Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Autumn Battle Roads 2nd Place Report 4-1

Hello all!

Tyler here, I apologize that I haven't posted in a while and that this post came in so late, but school just started and I just haven't had a lot of time recently to do much of anything. Today however, I'll be giving a report of the autumn Battle Roads tournament just last weekend, in which I placed second using Darkrai/Hydreigon. I did attend the Sunday tournament as well, but even though I had a pretty good record of 4-1, I got an unlucky bye in the first round which greatly affected my overall standing; fourth place. Without further adieu....

Saturday, Saint Paul Minnesota at The Source 

 

Before I go into match-ups, I must say that it was disappointing for me when I heard that this year there isn't going a top cut in Battle Roads tournaments anymore. And because of that, the two people with the highest standing end up facing off in the final round and determining who takes first or second by only one battle instead of the old, best-two-out-of-three top cut matches. Why is this bad? Because if one person gets a very unlucky start in that final round, it could cost them a First Place Victory Cup.
 
Match 1 of 5

This match wasn't  much of a challenge seeing as my opponent was fairly new to the game.
He didn't draw a single prize.
1-0
Match 2 of 5

My opponent was running a Kyurem EX/Blissey deck that with a strategy of having at least two Blissey on the bench and use Soft Boiled, Blissey's Ability, and Kyurem EX's Frost Breath attack for 60 damage that discards a Special energy from your opponents active Pokemon.He  also ran a few Potion in there as well as one or two Eviolite. All of those things combined makes it very hard to OHKO or even THKO one of his Kyurem EXes. This battle was a tough one, but with the help of Hydreigon's Dragonblast attack and a few Pokemon Catchers I was able two pull it off.
2-0
Match 3 of 5

The deck that my opponent was using was a variation of Empoleon/Terrakion. His battle was not very long because of the fact that I was able to easily control his damage output by not placing many Pokemon on my bench. It also helped that he was not able to pull a Terrakion out of the four turns it took for me to win the game.
3-0
Match 4 of 5

This game was against a friend of mine, and he was running a rogue deck with MewtwoEX, Aerodactyl DEX, and Tornadus EX. Though I ended up winning in the end, the start of the game is were I really struggled. he was putting on the pressure right from the start with his Tornadus EX, PlusPower, and Aerodactyl hitting for 80 damage first turn and then 100. KOing a Darkrai right away. Dispite my early losses however, I was able to finally pull out a Hydreigon on my third turn and start to use Max Potions to keep from getting 2HKOed.
4-0
Final Match

This match was against another one of my friends that was also 4-0. He was running Hammertime, a deck that uses Dark Patch for energy acceleration on Darkrai EX, and Enhanced Hammer and Crushing Hammer for disruption. But for this battle, instead of me telling you how the battle went down myself, you can just watch it right below by clicking the link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTO6jEZBluA&feature=plcp

If you watched the video, you may have noticed that for the first couple of turns the only thing occupying my entire field was a single Deino. That, and some misplays along the way led to a loss that battle. But all in all, it was a great time at the Source Comics and Games down in Saint Paul.
4-1

Here's my list that I used for both tournaments:

  •    Pokemon (13)
  • 3 Darkrai EX
  • 3 Hydreigon DRE
  • 1 Zweilous NVI
  • 3 Deino NVI
  • 2 Sableye DEX
  • 1 Sigilyph DRE
  •   Trainers (34)
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Cheren
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Random Receiver
  • 4 Pokemon Catcher
  • 3 Max Potion
  • 3 Dark Patch
  • 1 Eviolite
  • 1 Dark Claw
  •   Energy (13)
  • 4 Blend GFPD
  • 9 Dark
 I did upgrade this list after the tournaments, but will not be publicly sharing my new list for competitive reasons.

That's all of the happenings of the first Autumn Battle Roads! Until next time -Tyler








1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute! I thought we had a deal! You were going to write this on OneHitKO.com.

    (Disclaimer, in this comment "deal" means, "situation where I mentioned to you that you could post your articles on OneHitKO.com" and "going to" means, "I brought up the possibility that you could")

    Joking aside, definitely email me via
    http://www.onehitko.com/contact-us/
    to let me know if you are interested or not.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?